Tuesday, August 5, 2008

H-Mon in Da Howse

Can I get my mom card back? I took oldest daughter and got those Hannah Montana shoes. (hence my totally white mom, feigning teen-coolness title.)

Before we went, we were discussing the shoes and she actually asked, “Which ones do you want me to get, Mom?” It kind of pricked me a bit. I realized that she really wants to please me.

To be sure we could find the appropriate size and style we went to a different store on the evening of my last post, and funny thing, little son found the exact same four-sizes-too-big shoes that he did at the other store and wore them around till a decision was reached on oldest daughter’s shoes. Which, really, took no time at all, since she went for the same shoes she had her eye on and we found a pair in the right size. She was beaming. All smiles. I was biting my tongue and smiling and reassuring her on her BRILLIANT choice of shoes.

I should be spanked, though. I saw a pair of Tinker Bell shoes with a VERY INCONSPICUOUS little Tink on them. That is the answer! A character shoe with barely any mention of the character. I slyly pointed them out to oldest daughter. She scarcely gave them a glance and continued with the tying of her first love- Hannah.

It was a good thing that the husband went with us, he acted as my moral support and reminded me of the importance of letting her make her own decision. (I think there may have been something in “the Plan” about freedom of choosing for one’s self?)

It wasn’t until the next morning that I realized just how excited she was about her purchase. She got up first thing and put on those shoes- with her pajamas- and wore them all day. And then, of course, yesterday was the first day of school and she proudly donned her shoes, talking about how much her friends are going to love them. Oh, my sweet little oldest daughter.

So, we have Hannah Montana shoes at our house and I have found that I am not suffering because of it. Life can still be wonderful, even when your child wears those ghastly character shoes, and my pride is still intact.

Middle daughter starts preschool the beginning of September. A promise of school shopping has been made. This includes a trip to the shoe store. Heaven help me…

4 comments:

uniquelynat said...

*sigh* if i could be but half the mom you are i would be happy. i told ammon that even thought we are home schooling i think it only appropriate that we take addie school shopping. i think i need to mentally prepare for that. hopefully i can do as well with letting her choose what she wants and not what i want. we shall see....

Randibee said...

You guys should both be like me and let your kids run around unbathed, unbrushed, mismatched and totally tacky. No stress whatsoever! LOL!!!!

Ruth P said...

Way to go! We had a lot of fun back to school shopping too. It has been an exciting week full of adjustments this week! It is amazing how empty the house feels with one less child roaming around. It will be really strange next year when Amber starts and I just have the babe at home. Crazy!

uniquelynat said...

that is the funniest comment ever that randi made!!! what a funny sister!