Saturday, July 4, 2009

Stars and Stripes

The 4th of July holds special meaning in our household. For this is the day we welcomed our first born into our home. Seven years ago. Where has the time gone?




A true miracle was she. It took us six years to get her to come to earth- a little stage fright, I think. Or perhaps she was working a great work and had to finish before she could be released to us.

And now here we are, with three lovelies to call our own. We are truly blessed!


Happy Birthday Oldest Daughter!


Because of you, I:
  • know the true meaning of "with all my heart"
  • am a mother
  • laugh at least once a day
  • read Junie B. Jones
  • get to volunteer at school once a week
  • learned the secret of cayenne pepper
  • thrill at the sound of misplayed notes on the piano
  • get to see my greatest love, your dad, personified in you
  • watch Barbie movies
  • sooth troubled minds
  • feel fortunate to have such a tender-hearted daughter
  • wrestle to cut your toe nails (can't we just get that done without a bunch of fuss? at least once? Please?)
  • love to hear you re-tell Old Testament stories to your brother and sister
  • have refrigerator art. ALL the time
  • have a dog
  • know how to cook and give a spelling test while doing hair and talking on the phone
  • have learned tricky strategies to encourage a desirable outcome. In other words, I have learned how to get you to do what I want without any spanking.
  • discovered the joy a parent feels when one of their children succeeds
  • re-discovered magic- in all things
  • love more deeply
  • know about "under the pillow"

I am so grateful for you!

Happy Happy Day!!!

I love you!

8 comments:

Ruth P said...

Happy birthday, niece! We are so happy that you are in our family! We love you so much!

Shannon said...

My neice shares the same birthday and she's 8 today. Funny, I still think of your oldest as being a little 3 year-old. I can't believe she's just a year younger than my neice. Happy Birthday Oldest Daughter! The fireworks are all for you!

Elizabeth said...

Happy birthday to that cutie of girl! Hope she has a good one!!

Mechelle said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful Girl! May all your wishes come true!

uniquelynat said...

we had a great time celebrating your birthday! thanks for sharing your fireworks with the rest of us!!! we are thankful for you & are glad you are a part of our family!

Randibee said...

I'm so glad that you shared those sentiments, Steph. How lovely. Happy Birthday to Q!!!! We had so much fun yesterday celebrating with your family!

Cynthia said...

Happy belated birthday. You always think of the most clever way to say things- I wish I had that talent.

It took us 3.5 years to get our first born (twins) here- I know exactly how awesome it felt for you to be able to type the line "I am a Mother" in your becauses.

And that's a great day to have as a birthday- there's always fireworks and a big celebration.

Ashley said...

Ohhh what a precious picture! Happy birthday to her!!!