Friday, July 24, 2009

The Works

I'm sure I don't need to inform you that today is the 24th of July. The date may not hold much significance for you, but it does to me and my family.

In the history of my church, this day holds great significance. It was on this day in 1847 that Brigham Young led the first group of Mormon pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley.

And it is also the birthday of my sister's family's German foreign exchange student.

The children and I celebrated the day by attending the traditional 24th of July Breakfast Reunion hosted by the husband's side of the family. Such sadness for the husband, as he had to go to work. ( in order to finance the outings the children and I are so fond of taking- many thanks to the husband.)

It was a fun breakfast reunion. With lots of pancakes, bacon and sausage.

And then for lunch, we again celebrated by eating bologna sandwiches. Not really a tradition- it's just that bologna was in the refrigerator.

Let me tell you a little something about bologna. I haven't eaten bologna since the 80s. To be honest, I didn't know they still made bologna. But they do. And we found it in Grandma's fridge.

When I was younger, I had a sister (actually, even now that I am older, I still have this sister- although she is not the same sister with the German foreign exchange student) who used to make bologna sandwiches ALL. THE. TIME.

I'm not talking your ordinary bologna sandwich. She was the queen of the bologna sandwich. She made them with "the works". If you know what I mean. Do you?

"The works" would include lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo, mustard and sometimes sprouts. And whatever else was in the fridge- because the fridge was the home of "the works". And my mom stocked a mean fridge.

I never really loved bologna, but when I would see my sister walk in with her sandwich that included all the fixings- "the works", if you will- I suddenly craved bologna sandwiches. The only problem was that I was too lazy to make one myself. So, I found a clever way to score a little bologna-on-white with "the works".

All I had to do was work my magic and say to my sis, "You make the best bologna sandwiches this side of the Mississippi- I just don't know how to make them like you do. Would you make one for me?"

And she would say, "OK. What do you want on it?"

I would reply, "The Works."

And off she would go into the kitchen. To fix my bologna with "the works" while I sat back and waited patiently.

It was a brilliant plan.

Until she caught on to my little scheme.

She doesn't make me bologna sandwiches anymore. But she is an awesome sister.

I would say she has "the works"!

10 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

I love that your family's life is to full of family traditions. Makes me jealous. I'm even in Utah for the 24th, and the parade just isn't cutting it for me. I want some genuine celebrating!

A Musing Mother said...

I just found your blog. You entertain me. I like you.

How easy am I?

I think I might just stalk you, now.

You've been warned.

Rebecca Talley said...

Reading your post *almost* made me want a bologna sandwich.

Sounds like you have a lot of fun with yout family.

Anonymous said...

i love bologna on white bread with doritos layered in there, too...

its da Bomb!

uniquelynat said...

i think you conned that sister into doing A LOT of things she didn't have to do.... but she loves you anyway. and totally looks up to you. maybe eating all of you christmas and easter candy was her way of getting you back.

either way- she'd be willing to make you one with the works next time you are in her neck of the woods!

her children LOVE bologna...so she usually has it... though she has never made them one with the works, since they would not appreciate it as much as a lazy sister who schemes so she won't have to make her own...maybe when they are older.

very fun post. it made me smile...and remember. and speaking of remembering- remember the "butterfly treatment"? that would be a good post too.!

Ashley said...

This sounds so crazy and disgusting, but as a kid my very favorite sandwich in the world was bologna, cheese, and sweet pickles on white bread with mayo and mustard. And you know what? Sometimes it still tastes good. :)

Sarah said...

You were a sneaky sister. I like that, as I was too. I would con my little sisters into doing many things I didn't want to do.
We used to microwave our bologna with Kraft cheese on it and make "bologna bowls." Good times. :)

Nathan said...

Thanks.

Now, for the whole day, I'm going to have this stuck in my head ...

My bologna has a first name.
It's O-S-C-A-R.
My bologna has a second name.
It's M-E-Y-E-R.

big_smartmouth said...

well, thanks a lot! now, all i want is a bologna sandwich and i have no bologna...and it's all your fault! on a positive note, i, too, am a lazy sister. i remember hearing my sister in the kitchen, getting herself some ice cream. i was laying in bed, very comfortable, and craving some ice cream as well. so what did i do? i texted her! she thought it was so funny that she HAD to oblige and scoop me up a bowl. it never worked again, though (believe me, i tried).

Elizabeth said...

Sounds fun- I definatly have not eaten bologna since I was like 12 or something- but my kids have recently discovered it and LOVE it. I tell myself as long as it is the BEEF bologna it is better for them, but I still can't bring myself to even put a little sliver in my mouth! Glad you enjoyed a yummy sandwich during your celebrations!