Monday, October 27, 2008

Check That Bag

Does anyone know where I can find a Strawberry Shortcake ring? The kind you get at the ward trunk or treat. You know, the one you never even looked at. The one that is irreplaceable. And even if you wanted to replace it you couldn't because, well, YOU NEVER SAW THE THING! Middle daughter's was flushed down the toilet at church today. It was a tragical event. Here's how it went down: (went down. tee hee.)

During Sacrament meeting both oldest daughter and middle daughter had to use the bathroom. I have only recently been letting them go on their own. So off they went. A few minutes later middle daughter returned. Sobbing. Doing the double-breath thing. Like she was way sad.

She told me that oldest daughter had been wearing middle daughter's Strawberry Shortcake ring (what ring? I had never seen a Strawberry Shortcake ring) and dropped it in the toilet. So I immediately stood up to usher her out of the chapel. So as not to make a scene. Because she could not be consoled.

All the way out of the chapel she kept muttering stuff about the toilet. And people could hear her sad words. Which is ok, because I think people kind of get how we are by now. And I think they accept us anyway. I think. (I got a few questions on this from curious friends later- and I shared with them our little sadness. And appropriate sympathy was offered.)

We made a beeline for the bathroom. And you can bet I was prepared to fish that ring out of the toil-y. Just as we entered the bathroom I heard the surge of water that signifies the flushing of the toilet. A little girl came out of the stall. I didn't even have to ask. She informed me that she just flushed "it" down. Thanks.
One little girl's world shattered with a single flush.

Unleash the floodgates. The tears came. And they didn't stop. For a long time. You would have thought middle daughter had just lost the canine. She was utterly heartbroken. We spent the next ten minutes trying to calm and settle. And then, once she was done crying, the questions came. You know the ones about can we go to the store tomorrow and get one just like it? The ones that you know are un-answerable.

All I know is that the ring is somewhere far away. Probably making its way to
P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.
I have no doubt that Dorie will find it. And what would P. Sherman do with a Strawberry Shortcake ring anyway? He's a dentist. I think he could afford at least a cubic zirconia. Here's to hoping he'll let it go.
So here is what I have learned: not only do you need to go through your children's trick-or-treat bag to find the icky candies that have been tampered with, but also so you can take note on the jewelry. In case it gets flushed down the toilet. Or something else. Because anything is possible. Especially when you are trying to keep your family reverent. Like at church.

19 comments:

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Such Tragedy!! I feel for your daughter! I have no wisdom as of yet..but I will keep my eyes out for a Strawberry Shortcake ring. It may not be the same one, but hopefully it will fill the void!
Oh the heart break!

annie valentine said...

You could give her a spider ring and tell her it's Strawberry Shortcake's pet spider Frankie...

Elizabeth said...

How about calling P. Shermand and seeing if he has received it yet? Maybe he could ship it from Australia- I am sure it would be cheap :) Good Luck- I will keep my eyes out for Middle Daughters lost ring!

Shannon said...

We are having our Fall Festival this Wednesday. The Mia Maids are doing a fish pond. I will definitely keep my eyes out for a Strawberry Shortcake Ring and let you know!

*MARY* said...

You should be proud that your girls didn't just reach in and try to get it. Thats what my kids would have done.

Ginny said...

I like the idea of giving her a spider ring and telling her it's strawberry shortcakes pet and she would have wanted it this way! Maybe that would console her! Haha Frankie! I love it! Also, I called you the other day....you did't call back! I think I will try again right now!

Randibee said...

How sad...that's all I can say right now.

Chris said...

*Meanwhile the husband is frantically looking and singing to himself, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." and "don't touch that foatie, don't touch that floatie..."*

Chris said...

And right after i leave my comment, a coworker Tweeted this article about a man who tried to fish out his cell phone from a high-powered toilet and got sucked in. They had to remove the toilet (with man's arm attached) to unclog. Thank-you dear for teaching our children to keep their arms out of toilets. Enjoy the read here: http://gizmodo.com/5069427/man-gets-his-arm-sucked-into-french-train-toilet-toilet-just-wont-let-go

Heidi said...

I would hold interviews with everyone who did trunk or treat. That would be the super spy way to do it! Don't forget your trench coat and sunglasses during the investigation. If that doesn't work, I would try to dollar store:)

Nathan said...

Oh, reverence at church ...

Granted, our daughter is only 1 year old, but she has decided all the speakers are talking directly to her. She regularly waves at them and chats back, all while standing on the bench. It's quite a scene, since it's been drilled into me since birth that I should sit in the front.

I wish I could help with the ring issue. Our party is tomorrow night, so maybe on will turn up there ...

Kellie said...

So sad! I wonder if P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney ever gets hate mail?

momof8 said...

Google "strawberrry shortcake rings" I got several links, the two on ebay were cheapest and cute. There are many--I'll bet you could find them. Or like someone suggested, see who bought the prizes for the ward trunk or treat! Good Luck!

uniquelynat said...

i hope you find it. we would give you ours if we had one here. i know addie would willingly share with dear middle cousin. alas we don't. so sorry. good luck.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Aw, I feel for your baby girl. If I run into any strawberry shortcake ring on halloween I'll let you know. I'll also call people I know in Australia to see if they know where 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney is and maybe scope the ring :-)

Rebecca Talley said...

Poor little girl. What a traumatic event in a young life. I hope you can find another ring.

Stefany said...

That story it way too funny!! I just checked my daughers treasure from trunk or treat with no strawberry shortcake ring to be found :( Good luck! Buy her a puppy!

Suzi said...

You can try the dollar stores or the swap-meet thats down by cotton Lane. Or you can go to the state fair. They have all kinds of little things like that. Good luck. I feel your pain. When our little pill has lost something (because of our middle pill), "its the end of the world as we know it."

Sarah said...

I'll look tomorrow night. If a S.S. ring is discovered, it will be in the mail on Saturday. Hugs to middle daughter.