Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A tiny visitor


Tonight brings with it another favorite tradition. As 2008 turns into 2009, Baby New Year creeps across the threshold of our front door and brings surprises for all who leave a shoe to be filled.

The children have carefully placed their shoes at the foot of the front door in hopes of a visit from Baby New Year. Their little minds haven't figured out that they should search for the biggest shoe they can find and then leave that one for Baby New Year to deposit candy and treats. So, there near the front door sit their little size 8, 11 and 12 sized sneakers. Just waiting for that special New Year's visitor.

Happy New Year to you and yours!
May 2009 be filled with the best treats and surprises ever
and may your shoe be big enough to hold it all!

10 comments:

Lizdee said...

Oh the strange Walker tradition of leaving shoes out on New Years for candy. I forgot about doing it until I read you post. It dribbled out in our house after we got to be teenagers and realized the candy looked a lot like the stuff we got for Christmas.

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Cute idea! I don't think I had ever heard of doing that!

Happy New YEAR!

Anonymous said...

It didn't happen this year at our house, sadly.

Loralee and the gang... said...

What a cute tradition. How did you come up with that?
:D

Chillygator said...

That is cute! I'd like to know how you started that as well.

Cynthia said...

It seems like everyone has heard of this tradition but me. That's such a cute idea. I may have to try that out next year.

I can clearly see that I need to be keeping a list of all the good ideas I get from bloggy friends!

trublubyu said...

this is a tradition that was started in the husband's family and we carried it into our family. my children love it and so do i!

Ashley said...

What a cute tradition! I want to do that for my kids someday too!

Shannon said...

How fun! Never heard of that tradition, but I'm pretty sure that any chance for more candy would go over very well at this house! Hope you had a great New Year!

Chris said...

I always thought the tradition had to do with wooden shoes and Holland, but I've done research and it is a Greek tradition.

Who'd have known we have our very own big fat greek traditions in our family.