Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lists

A bunch of things I never knew I was going to love about being a mom:

****warning: this post contains excessive bullets

  • 27 little first grader hugs as soon as I walk in to help in oldest daughter's classroom
  • little slurpy sounds of a child enjoying their popsicle
  • the awkward dance moves of a 4 year old girl
  • sword fights with a superhero-focused son
  • Barbie movies
  • being crowded out of my cooking spot in order to accommodate one more stool
  • folding warm tiny socks fresh out of the dryer
  • running behind my children up the stairs while pinching their little delicious buns- can't help myself!
  • trips to Disneyland that are more magical than ever
  • planting a garden and listening to their daily report on what's growing and what is not
  • eavesdropping on their make-believe
  • watching the husband parent his children
  • enjoying their delight in the canine
  • loving when they tell me they are going to marry each other when they grow up
  • cleaning up little shoes that seem to be getting bigger and bigger
  • hearing, "thanks for the yummy dinner, Mom!" when I have pleased their palates.
  • watching a little boy wash his hands on tiptoe
  • hearing, "when I grow up I'm going to be..." multiple times a day
  • being called Momma on extra special occasions
  • artwork plastered all over the house
  • the few minutes each night when I crawl up into their bed, snuggle close and have a little pillow talk with faces inches apart
  • staying up late just to soak in the quiet house and the feeling of being "off duty"
  • checking on them just before I go to bed to make sure they are alive and tucking their little blankets snuggly around them
  • bicycle rides with little voices in deep conversation behind me in the bike trailer
  • rocks in the dryer
  • hearing, "I did it, Mom! I did it!" and being able to respond, "I knew you could!"
  • sidewalk chalk art that magically appears as soon as old art is washed off the patio
  • weed-y bouquets picked by delicate fingers and presented with a rubber band around the middle to hold them all in place
  • little rings of dirt all around my yard where the rocks have been scooted away to accommodate the planting of un-popped kernels from the popcorn bowl in hopes of popcorn plants that will grow in their place- and not having the heart to ruin those dreams
  • little fingers that are learning how to snap
  • a perfectly-formed muddy hand print on my sliding glass door
  • being asked to sing that song about Thomas and having no idea what song little son is talking about and then making up whatever comes to mind and little son is thrilled. And then being asked to sing it again.
  • having my hair combed and nails painted by the tiniest of beauticians
  • being instantly forgiven when I make a mistake
  • road trips
  • hearing little voices trying to articulate what is on their minds
  • being told, "You're beautiful, Mom"- even when I haven't showered and I am still in my pj's at 3:00
  • being amazed at the memory of a child. How do they remember those tiny details?
  • giggling with my kiddos about silly things
  • telling jokes at dinner time
  • satisfaction of a day gone well

What do you love about being a parent- or a son or a daughter?

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

I don't know how you always come up with such great stuff but I love this post! I will probably steal this idea for my blog because I will probably do one of those 'blog books' and all those beautiful little moments we Moms experience change with the ages of the kids- and I want to remember.

Thanks for the reminder to enjoy each small moment.

Cynthia said...

Oh- and roadtrips with little kids will NOT be making my list of loves! LOL!

fish said...

you make me want to be a better mom. thanks for that.

Wonder Woman said...

I love your lists. I find myself saying, "Yes, yes, yes," to so many of these.

I love little boys who want me to spin them so they can be "bizzy."

Eavesdropping on make-believe conversations -->I love that, too.

Hearing that glorious laughter. Does life get any better?

Shauna said...

You are AWESOME! ♥ Hugs :)

Marisa said...

Stephanie, this was SO CUTE. SO CUTE. Thanks for posting. :D

uniquelynat said...

how about....
i know potty training is not your fave- but-

tiny bums in little panties for the first time

hearing the children actually laughing together, instead of crying because one hurt the other

for me- or people like me who adopt- holding that baby for the first time and KNOWING WITHOUT A DOUBT they were meant to be part of our family

i think i could go on. maybe i should do this on my blog too. then i could expound. and i have to echo every person who commented so far....steal this idea *ditto* be a better mom *ditto* your lists *ditto* awesome you *ditto* SO CUTE *ditto*

Ashley said...

This is such a cute post! I love posts with lots of bullets. I love listening to little kid babble that I can't understand but it just sounds so cute. :)