Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tune In Tuesday


Welcome to
Laughing at Life's Little Wedgies
second ever installment of
Tune In Tuesday!

Today's guest post is provided by cute little Wonder Woman of
I have loved following her blog- her family is all Super Heroes.
And she has a little Super Hero bun in the oven.
One of the things I love about her blog is that it is all real.
She recently wrote her love story- in full.
The whole story of her courtship with her Superman.
It's a good little read.

So, before you go and clean your bathroom-
read Wonder Woman's post
and then click on over to her blog.
And swap howdies.
And add her to your blogroll.



I just wanted to say thank you to Stephanie for giving me the opportunity to be part of her world. A blog is a person's own special place, and I'm honored that she invited me in. Her blog is a perfect blend of happy memories, family traditions, and humor without feeling like a fairy-tale land that couldn't possibly exist. Stephanie's one of the bloggers that I've tried to become more like. Thanks, girlie, for inspiring me to take note of my children.


I've never been the kind of person to feel overwhelmed. I'm pretty mellow and easy-going, and I like to think that I handle stress well. Along with that, I've never been the kind of woman who thinks she has to do it all, or be perfect. That God expects me to be perfect. I know He expects me to do my best, and if I'm doing my very best, that's enough. When I hear of women complaining that there's just too much to do and no way to do it all, I think, "Buck up and do your best. What's the problem?"

But lately, that seems to have changed.

When I wake up, the first thing on my mind is the list of things I need to accomplish that day. I sit at the computer catching up on e-mail, eating my cereal and making my to do list. Between the household duties, mommy duties, sister/friend duties, Cubmaster duties, Enrichment duties, and wifely duties, the list has been pretty long of late. Oh, and I'm doing this theater in the park project with a friend that's pretty involved. And I have two little boys, and am 15 weeks pregnant. (Luckily this has been my easiest pregnancy and I've hardly been sick.) Did I mention that one of my kids is potty-training? And the other has entered a very belligerent stage?

Just last Sunday I was cleaning up some pictures the boys had spilled and realized they were pictures from our Gospel Art Kit. The ones we are supposed to be using for Family Home Evening. Do you know how often we have FHE? I'd say it's about once every two months. Which reminded me of how often we have family scripture study. (Even less frequently.) Which reminded me that I hadn't had a personal scripture study in weeks. And I actually had the thought, There's just too much. There's no way to do it all.

I guess that's what I get for judging others.

For a while, I was seriously contemplating talking to my primary president about my husband and I being released from our position as Cubmasters. He's already got another calling, and I've got two more, and we've been Cubmasters for about 2 years. Then we got a new primary president and I decided it could wait a few weeks. Then I went to a training meeting and learned once again that our leaders, even Scout leaders, are inspired.

The topic for our breakout discussion was "Cubmasters don't do everything. Break what you are supposed to do, and what you are supposed to delegate."

Like I said, that woman was inspired.

So I'm trying to be better at delegating. And saying "no." It's been hard to put into practice. Most of the things I'm asked to do I either want to do, or I feel it's my responsibility. Then there are all the things (calling-related and otherwise) that simply don't get done unless I do them. But I'm getting better. I'm discovering new methods that are working for me.

Of course, it's a constant evolution. I've started giving myself frequent deadlines for little tasks, just so I can get them done. But because I'm a chronic procrastinator, some things just don't get done. Then I start to feel overwhelmed. I start thinking about the things that aren't getting done. Then I think about the things that weren't even on the list but should be. And I just get so overwhelmed I don't want to do anything. I waste time for the rest of the day, then go to bed thinking about all that I now I have to do tomorrow because I didn't do it today.

I have crazy but telling dreams, then wake up thinking about all I have to do.

I guess the point is, I still don't have it figured out. I try my best, but now it seems my best isn't good enough, and I let that stop me from trying harder to be a little better. (Don't you miss President Hinckley?)

I'm one of those lucky ladies who lives where LDS music is broadcast on a local station each Sunday. I haven't always lived here, so it's not something I take for granted. I heard a lyric today that struck me in a new way. The line was, "If any of you feel burdened/Let him ask of God."

I've always known that the Savior is there to comfort and take your yoke upon Him, and whatnot. But I never felt like I needed that. Not that Christ wouldn't be able to help, but that I was pretty strong and doing just fine. Maybe if I ever had to go through something really hard.

But right now, I feel burdened. And there's no qualifier to Christ being there to succor us, and help us. We don't have to have just lost our spouse or child for the Lord to strengthen us and help bear our burdens. And we don't have to read our scriptures for 30 minutes before the kids wake up for God to hear our prayers. And answer them.

So if you'll excuse me, I've got Someone I need to talk to.

7 comments:

somewhere over the rainbow said...

Thank you for sharing this post, I'm a big fan of Wonder Woman.

Teri said...

Lovely post! Go Wonder Woman!

Kerri said...

I love wondr woman! Her love story is great! I live in the same town as her and we met through our blogs and actually had a blogger date one day.

Carolyn said...

great post, I often feel the same way!

Sarah said...

It also doesn't help that Superman is currently out of the country. I wish I still lived there...I would steal your kids for the whole day.

uniquelynat said...

a blogger date kerri? i'm intrigued! very wonderful post. i think that about sums up how i feel regularly. so much to do...and usually it's the most important stuff that slips through the cracks.

Mechelle said...

great post! so many of us, and I would venture to say most of us, in this world experience life like this. Thanks for helping us to feel loved and validated that we are all in this together and we are never alone.