Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Answers and Random and Questions

Some of you may be on the edge of your seat, waiting for me to tell you what the husband and I were for Halloween. We were, in fact, a Split P.

And you may be wondering how the pigeon chase is progressing. I am happy to report that we have had a 100% drop in the pigeon population on our winter grass. Seriously- zero pigeons. Glorious to behold, especially since there were right around 50 pigeons (no exaggeration) feasting on grass seed when I awoke on Monday morning. Devastating. And they kept coming back.

I sent the vicious canine out to scare them away, but the poor little skin and bones doggie couldn't handle these arctic Arizona mornings, so I had a little compassion and welcomed her back inside.

So, I ran scenarios in my head- trying to come up with something to prevent our every lawn seed from being consumed by these hungry little pigeons. I knew we couldn't get a net to cover the whole lawn, so I had to find an alternative. And it was then I recalled someone telling me a few years ago that they used mylar balloons to scare away those pesky pidgies. (pidgies= pigeons) It's awesome. A moving scarecrow.

I voted yesterday.

Also, yesterday I baked Amish friendship bread. Yummy stuff, but so high maintenance that I don't usually encourage anyone giving me any of their Amish friendship bread starts. My sister brought over a loaf and a start last week and my kids loved the bread. And they committed me to babysitting that silly start all these past 10 days. So, for the past 10 days, I have been faithfully mushing the bag. And letting the air out. And yesterday was baking day. We added chocolate chips. Yum.

So now I have 4 starts sitting on my kitchen counter. Anyone want one?

Also, it was jackpot day yesterday. Last night as I was tucking little son into bed, he was unglued because we could only find one of his blankets. He likes to sleep with two identical blankets. So, I pulled the spare blanket down from his closet.

Tangent (Nathan-style)
When little son was born, he truly was attached to a blue satin blanket he was given. It was imperative that he have it when falling asleep.

One Sunday we accidentally left it at Grandma's. Oh, the pain. So the next day I went to the store and bought two additional blankets- for such an occasion if one were lost or left or laundered.
End Tangent

As I was retrieving the spare blanket, I found gold. A red Superman shirt. Pretty sure it came from a friend a year or so ago- and way too big for little son then. So, I think I put it up there for a rainy future day. And last night was that rainy future day. Little son was so upset about the whole blanket thing- and that shirt calmed him down so fast. And he couldn't wait to put it on this morning. And he looks pretty cute in that little hero shirt. And there really is more to the whole Superman fascination at our house than what I have just shared. I'll fill the rest in later.

That is the end.

Any other questions? I'm prepared to answer any and all of them.

P.S. Thank you for all the guest blogger suggestions- I'm going to get right on that and see who is willing.

P.P.S. Nice job, Maine.

6 comments:

Nathan said...

I've logged that balloon trick in my brain for safe keeping.

And Amish friendship bread sounds way too hard for someone as lazy as I am.

Cynthia said...

I have yet to ever get through the whole 10 day thing with that bread! LOL!

I'm glad blanket disaster was mostly averted. Tee Hee!

Mechelle said...

yummy bread, fun stories, and I was told the same about the balloons, I should take the advice. If you want to bring me a start I'll do it, I don't think I'll be out that way any time soon. :(

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ritsumei said...

Stick the starts in your freezer. They'll keep for a good while. They never quite freeze solid. It's very strange.

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I'm not gonna lie..I was quite curious about the costumes. THANK YOU for easing my mind!