Friday, June 4, 2010

Milestone Day

Today oldest daughter and I took a little time to embark on the search for the perfect white dress. She will be baptized in a few short weeks, you know.

In the car, on the way to the store, we discussed baptism. I told her she would have an interview with the bishop so he could help her understand her decision to be baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And then I said he would probably ask her why baptism is important. In all her humble cuteness she confessed she didn't know why baptism is important. And then she re-thought what she had just said and declared she might know why. And she told me baptism is so important that even Jesus was baptized. We discussed that baptism is essential for salvation and after she is baptized, she will receive a special gift- the gift of the Holy Ghost. Plus, she will be an official member of the Church.

As we sorted through organzas, silks, satins and chiffons, I couldn't help but think back on the eight short years we have been able to get acquainted. She is the one who introduced me to motherhood. It is she who first taught me that the husband is the best kind of father there is: patient, capable, wise enough to use even the small moments as teaching opportunities, and proud- so proud of his children. She is the one who first taught me the joy of volunteering in the classroom. Who else but she could have been a better example for her brother and sister? She has brought me fulfillment and fun and laughter- because she has a tummy she calls Frankie.

In the dressing room as she giggled in gladness at the puffs and the poofs while I zipped and buttoned and tied ginormous sashes, I delighted (delighted- truly the only word that fits) as I watched her embrace femininity as she twirled and admired her beauty in the full length mirror.

We talked of which dress she liked best. And how does one even choose? So we weeded out the least favorite and worked our way up. In the end, she made her decision. And she was excited. And giddy.

It was a good day.

A few days ago I told her she couldn't turn 8. But, darn that girl, I think she is going to go and do it anyway. A genuine rebel, that one.

Just for fun, that little blonde girl and I decided to show you the top three contenders. And allow you to choose your favorite. And in a few days, we will reveal her choice. So fun.

And seriously, the pictures don't do these dresses justice. I think they were sewn by angels for angels. They are that beautiful. Plus, don't you think all baptism dresses should be worn with bare feet? I'm convinced they should!

Dress A



Dress B



Dress C


So, cast your vote. Vote for your favorite and the one she chose. Fair warning though, she is like the best white dress try-er on-er ever! It's like the Summer Olympics- and you're the judge! Woot!

18 comments:

uniquelynat said...

i have to say i don't love dress "c". (watch that's the one she chose- if so don't tell her it's my least fave-k?)

dress "b" is SO cute. and the angle of the picture makes her look so small. and for sure not old enug for baptism!

however- i am ENCHANTED by dress "a"! those sleeves....i want a dress with sleeves like that! they remind me of martha washington or something. a by-gone era. that's my vote. you could recall however that my girl's blessing/sealing dress had similar type sleeves- maybe that's my draw to it? NAH! it's just enchanting is all.

soooo....give me an "A"!

Sarah said...

I think "C" is lovely. But I think that Q picked "A". I've been watching "Say Yes to the Dress" all evening - and improving my decision skills. No matter what dress she picks - she will be gorgeous!

Calli Potter said...

I'm going to be the rebel and say I loved dress C. I like the bottom and I'm all about the simpler the better. That said... she is just so stinkin cute in every single one of them! Brendan and I got married right after Quincy was born, so it just amazes me that time really has moved forward so quickly, and here she is, a beautiful young lady in a (3) beautiful dress. Congratulations Quincy!

Anonymous said...

I love b and c. And I enjoyed seeing you and the kids yesterday.

Rosie said...

I really love A and C, but they're all so pretty when they're on her. She outshines them by far.

typewriter heather said...

B.

Ginny said...

I love dress C. I think she looks beautiful. I also like B but cant see all of the details as well. My vote is C....and if she truly is just like me...that's the one she chose :) PS_what day is her baptism going to be on?

HanksFam said...

So I'm liking B and C equally. How fun!

Emzwee said...

Personal favorite is B although I also like C and don't dislike A. I'm so excited for her.

mom and dad said...

I am over come with the thought what a precious little girl Quincy is and that she has a precious mother who also takes the opportunity to teach and share her testimony...these times are the best ever!
All of the dresses are lovely, but my favorite is B...I think she chose A however..it reminds me of the fairy garden...Dad says he chose C..can't wait to here the real choice.

Ruth P said...

Ruth: B
Scott: B
Heidi: A
Amber: A
Brett: I don't want to go to bed!

All of the dresses are beautiful! I think I like B because it reminds me of my wedding dress! Can't wait to see which one she picked! We are so excited for Quincy!

Michelle said...

C

Where did you go shopping to find so many cute white dresses? Share your secrets please!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

C is my favorite. I think I would wear it...

Sandi and Curtis said...

Dress B is beautiful and long.
Dress C seams more moveable for church week after week. I think either of those would be perfect!

Heidi said...

My vote is B...can't wait to see the winner! P.S. My neck is way sunburned! Yours?

Anonymous said...

They are all so beautiful, but if I have to choose it would be B.

Nathan said...

I don't know if a boy's opinion should really matter. I'm guessing she chose A.

My favorite is B, but they are all adorable, and perfect for a little girl to feel special on her baptism day.

I have a feeling when we get to this point with our daughter, she won't let us take the dress off her for at least three weeks.

Anonymous said...

I'm voting for dress B. You tell that little 8 year old that I think she's beautiful!!!