Thursday, January 13, 2011

What's That Buzzing?

Turns out, I am that mom.

We all know that the individual without children has all the answers pertaining to child-rearing. That's no secret. But, we also all know that the individual who is not a parent to a particular child can hear everything that child says, whereas the actual parent of that child has a hearing deficiency in relation to that child, and that child only. Because, the parent of that child can most certainly hear with clarity the child of another parent. Agreed?

I have found that I have most definitely contracted the parental hearing deficiency. And it seems to be getting worse. Not only do I have the parental hearing deficiency, I also believe that I may be afflicted with the parental attention deficiency.

I am discovering that I don't pay as close attention as I should. Often I hear a buzz surrounding whatever task I am concentrating on, accompanied by a tugging on my shoulder or leg. Once I focus, I realize that buzzing is my child talking to me and the tugging is their attempt at capturing my attention.

My automatic response to the buzzing is to respond with a yes or a no before it even registers what the child has said. Pathetic.

It seems I am waltzing numbly through life lately, only to realize later that my child was requesting attention or love or chocolate.

As I put on my jeans this morning, I noticed that there was an unfamiliar bulge in the right front pocket of my pants. Kinda unusual. Upon further investigation, I discovered a little treasure in the form of assorted rubber bands and a Littlest Pet Shop sticker.

I don't know how any of it got there. And I'm pretty sure I am the only one who wears these jeans that were fresh from the dryer.

What this means is that the last time I wore this particular pair of pants, I must have had a tiny little buzzer beside me, reaching their hand into my pocket and depositing their latest collection. And I had no idea. None. And what makes it more curious is that this particular pocket has a button that apparently had to be undone and then re-buttoned. And I never noticed.

Since we all know that people watch the actions of other people's children, I am certain that someone probably witnessed this deposit. Were you with me when it happened? Fill me in on the details, please? Because I don't want to be that mom anymore. I want to be present- I want to pay closer attention to every single word that comes out of their mouths. I want to feel every little hug. I want to see every little delighted smile that forms on their lips. I want to know when they have a treasure to deposit in my pocket, so they can tell me about it and I can be excited with them.

When I can do all that, I'm pretty sure my hearing deficiency will clear up and that buzzing noise will disappear.

7 comments:

uniquelynat said...

that is funny. and i did not notice. so apparently it wasn't me that was with you when it happened. and this post made me feel guilt for being one the computer right now. because i need to be a more aware mother as well. *sigh*

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Is that what that buzzing is and those nudges?

I guess I need to have my own hearing checked. Thanks for the insight (and healthy reminder).

Claire said...

I think I have permanent whiplash from children grabbing my face under my chin and then whipping it toward them so I would pay attention. Guess we are all guilty.

Nathan said...

I often liken the volume of "verbage" coming from my daughter's mouth to a tidal wave or an avalanche. There is no possible way to ride over the top of it. We can only hope to be swept along with it and pray we don't get buried too deeply.

This translates to inadvertently ignoring her way too often.

We should start a club ... or a support group or something.

Alida B. said...

I have a blog award to pass along and after reading through your blog posts I really think you deserve it! :)

Feel free to pick it up at:
http://bowlizzlefamdizzle.blogspot.com/2011/01/versatile-blogger-award.html

Hope you'll enjoy my blog, too!

Kellie said...

I've heard the buzzing before, too. Today, in fact.

Loralee and the gang... said...

I SO could have written this post - it is so me. But you did a much better job of it than I ever could have!